Thursday 5 April 2012

Dreaming of a White... Pesach?

I am looking out of my window in the Nita Lodge in Whistler BC, and it's snowing over an expanse of frozen lake. Tall conifers stand ringing the lake and, in the distance, there are snow-capped peaks. Well, I'm sure not in Melbourne any more!.
I have mixed feeling about snow. Wait, no I don't, I have very clear feelings: I hate it. But I am NOT complaining. I would be a fool to complain about Pesach away! And the family is gathering, my daughters are cooing over the new baby and I'm enjoying the grandchildren whom I see on Skype (not nearly as often as I should, the time difference us a killer).
We are all a bit wrecked from the traveling, but it'll be fine for Seder night I'm sure.
So no rants this week, just good wishes to all for a joyful, happy Pesach. The gathering of the families for this festival is one source of our strength as a people.
Sure, on an individual level we might not stand one another but as a whole, we must realize that what holds us together is much stronger than what drives us apart. Call it love, call it filial duty, it is a powerful thing. It joins our past and our future through the mingling of the generations in the observation of customs and rituals that date back 2 thousand years. 2 millennia of chowing down on matzos and blowing up our sinuses with maror. What does not kill us makes us stronger!
On that note, I'm pulling on my snowboots and going out for a walk after bedikas chametz. (something funny: the surname of the mashgiach here is Hametz. Really!)
A kosher un freilichen Pesach!

1 comment: