Wednesday 7 May 2014

Lashed by Mascara

For the next few weeks I'm in between the sad days of Yom HaShoa / Yom HaZikaron, and the next sad days for me, namely, my mother's yahrzeit, 10th Sivan, and my other brother Marvin's on 2nd Sivan- so one before and one after Shavuot, which effectively screws Shavuot for me, by the way.

I have to get my mind off all this loss and sadness, and the best way I know how is to be really annoyed about something trivial! So here goes:

MASCARA. I have almost given up on mascara.

Right now, this is what I have. Now, aficionados  of mascara will look and say, huh, well, what do you expect, there are 2 cheapy-cheapy Maybellines, one Kirkland- Costco!- one Rimmel and one- what 's that? Arbonne. (That's a company like Amway crossed with Nutrimetics, on steroids, and I do use their products which I get through my dealer, and it's all good EXCEPT for the mascara, which is not. Despite her enthusiastic endorsements.)

None of them is any good. They DON'T go on smoothly. They DON'T cover every teeny lash. They DON'T last a working day. They DO shed little particles which irritate my eyes.
Even though they are cheap (ish) they make promises. And they should keep them, but they don't.
AND I have used many fancy-pants mascaras with funny brushes. I can't even list all the brands but I don't need to because they are all disappointing.
Revlon can't make a good one to save its life. Fancy designer ones - Guerlain and whatnot- not worth it. I think I had a good Orlane one once, but when I went to find one again, I couldn't.

So right now it's not too 'shvartz far'n oigen' ('black before my eyes' - i.e., sad, tragic) but it's 'shvartz unter der oigen' - black UNDER my eyes, and it's enough already!

I have gone back to my Ageing Rock Chick sort of look with a line of Kohl on my lower lid line, and I DON'T CARE, it looks better than crumbling mascara flecks on my under-eye pouches and it's less irritating.

BUT. If there are any readers out there who can suggest a brand I haven't tried, I'm still listening.

5 comments:

  1. I use Maybelline define-a-lash in waterproof brown, have for years - its really good and you can find it in brown online. http://www.amazon.com/Maybelline-Define-A-Lash-Lengthening-Waterproof-Mascara/dp/B001KYVL2G/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1399462512&sr=8-19&keywords=waterproof+mascara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a bit shy of the waterproofs as they are hard to take off gently. I will have to look at all the suggestions and check them out, thank you.

      Delete
  2. L'Oreal False Fiber Lashes, or Faux Cils, is pretty good. But sometimes there can be some things you can do in terms of prep:

    For longer lashes (in general) take off your eye makeup every night, dip a q-tip in olive oil, and run it along your lashes. They will get longer and fuller if you do it every night.

    Don't apply mascara to lower lashes before Shabbos or Yontif. It will smudge.

    Place the mascara wand and the base of the lashes and wiggle up. A tip I learned recently is to close your lid while applying, which forces the lashes through the brush. Mine have never looked so divine before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a contact lens wearer, I find that the lengthening mascaras with the bits of fibre etc can be crazy irritating. I once tried this double thing where you use clear mascara to lengthen and then step 2 to colour, that was OK but they stopped making it. I ALWAYS remove makeup before bed and I don't do that icky pre shabbos application etc, what an awful look on older skin the next day!I'm sorry to say that I do use makeup on shabbos, only a bit and some is the ShaynDee stuff, but I have the OMG Heter; if my husband saw me barefaced when entertaining, he would say OMG are you sick? (JK).
      The olive oil tip is interesting as is the actual application 'wiggle'- reminds me of a scene in ?Soapdish, not sure, where Sally Field is applying mascara just as you describe,but she makes it funny somehow. Anyway, thanks, Princess Lea.

      Delete
  3. BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara- I have also tried many brands and this one is great! very gentle, no irritation, not gluggy, stays on well, easy to wash off. I"ve recommended it to a few people and they all love it.
    http://www.sephora.com/bareminerals-flawless-definition-mascara-P242120

    ReplyDelete