Sunday 25 November 2012

BEHOLD THE BEACH BABE- NOT


There comes a time in the course of human events when it becomes necessary to chuck out the chlorine-eaten, faded and near-transparent swimsuit and go shopping for a new one.
Sisters, is there anything more traumatic in the world of clothes shopping than seeking new bathers? Seriously, is there ever a time that we are more confronted by the disasters that have befallen our figures? The extra chocolate bonbon. The decision not to take a post-prandial walk in the evenings. The gym membership, unused. The 6 pregnancies, the last 2 when over 30 and your body just doesn’t kind of bounce back, if it ever did before. The passage of time. The assault of gravity.

In the past few years I have found what I needed for swimming and water aerobics in good old Target; a simple, black maillot, or, not to be fancy, one piece swimsuit. Easy peasy. But this year the buyer must have been replaced by a pretentious cokehead, because they have forgotten who actually shops at Target. 20-year-old svelte models? No. Who shops at Target if not middle-aged, middle-class Aussies with big middles? Who needs bikinis and tankinis and other aberrations? So I was disappointed by Target.

Soon after, I found myself in Rebel Sport, only because I was there with a daughter, and knowing I was setting myself up for failure, I chose a few one-piece Speedo suits to try. Now, here’s where the manufacturers really don’t get it. I took size 16, because that is actually my size, but what I found I was trying on was size 8, kind of scaled up a few inches here and there, but completely missing the point, which is that size 16 women have BOOBS. And a BUTT.  And we don’t want to expose either. And we want them to be supported. And the sales girl didn’t care.

Onward! I couldn’t quit, I was too embarrassed to wear the old swimsuit. I had to find something! So to Swimwear Galore, which is where I should have gone in the first place. They really do carry a lot of stock and, more important, the sales assistants are WILLING TO HELP. Do you hear that? Not little snots who are thinking of their next smoking break or the hot date that night, but good-natured, smiling HELPFUL staff.

The first armload of swimsuits was disappointing though, and had me sounding like a madwoman, muttering audibly in my little cubicle about buttfloss and boobs plastered down or popping out yada yada. So when the assistant asked so chirpily how that went, I was very grumpy. And she looked so sad to have disappointed me, I had to apologise. And then we looked at the racks again. One piece. Chlorine resistant. For actual swimming, not for lounging. Some ort of bra, but no underwire. No miracle suits. No wardrobe malfunctions. She found me more to try on, saying that these suits were more…she groped for the word. Supportive? Opaque? Comfortable?  No… MODEST! That’s the word. Hallelujah! That’s what I want! Coverage!

And so it was. A swimsuit model I never was and never will be, but these bathers are Good Enough and they do the job and I look OK. And I had a lovely swim yesterday and today.

They say that retail in Australia is dying, that the stores are in trouble, that people are choosing to shop on-line rather than in stores. Well, that won’t stop happening; but take heed, retailers! If your SALES ASSISTANTS actually ASSIST the customer, you will make more SALES. And if you lose track of your demographic, you will stock your store with things that people don’t want. Don’t blame the internet, pals, blame yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment