Monday 10 December 2012

FORM-FILLING AND OTHER CURSES


I recently agreed to be part of a study of patients who had undergone laparascopic gastric banding, ie Lap-banding, for the treatment of obesity. I had the band in 2006 and lost 30kg (read previous post) but had review surgery in August this year because I was having terrible trouble with reflux. So now the reflux is cured, praise the Lord, but I have yet to lose any more weight, so I am having serial adjustments until we hit the ‘sweet spot’ where there is the balance between hunger and satiety, between food slipping down too easily and some sort of restriction which acts as a behaviour-modifier. Interestingly, the experience is quite different the second time around, partly I guess because I know more what to expect. But an odd thing has happened to me; I have developed what looks (and sounds) like IBS. Sure, in the past I might have had a bit of a wind problem, but nothing painful, no bloating etc. Now, OMG, some days I can’t be in the same room with anybody. I now understand those women who have babies without knowing they are pregnant, because they think that the baby’s kicking is ‘wind’. Well, I have that sort of wind now. If I didn’t know I wasn’t pregnant, I would wonder.
It’s as if I have suddenly become intolerant of fructose or lactose or everything with an –ose at the end, or who knows.  Whonose. G-dnose. (But no reflux, so I can sleep at night even though we have to keep the windows open.) Plus all sorts of shenanigans with bowels which I won’t bore you with.

Apparently, according to the GP who looks after me in the Centre for Bariatric Surgery in Glen Iris, this is not rare and should settle. But nobody seems to understand why this happens. We agreed that I should keep a food diary and maybe we can pinpoint the cause. She suggested MyFitnessPal app. This just looks at calories really, so not quite what I need, but I downloaded the app and have rediscovered that I am crap at food diaries, no matter how they are presented. And it’s easier with pencil and paper. Duh.
But all food diaries, provided one fills them in honestly, and that is a BIG if, are pretty confronting.

Before I had the band I had a whole training diary which I got from my personal trainer, and I was so stringent with everything I ate, drank and exercised, and I thought I was pretty good. I looked at the pages recently and I was shocked at how much I was eating. I eat a fraction of that now. Really, no wonder I’m such a fatty, without the restriction of the band and the fact that it does take away your hunger, I could eat infinitely. So I am eating a lot less than I used to, but it’s far from ideal. FAR, FAR from ideal. I do tend to eat –not to put too fine a point on it- crap. And now the question is, am I really intolerant of FODMAPS, or is this just a transient phase and will I just wait it out? I’m flying out in a few days so that will sure be a testing time. Is there anything worse for everybody concerned, than excessive gas on an airplane?

Meanwhile, I received a questionnaire in the mail from a researcher in the Bariatric Centre and it went on for pages and pages of multiple choice questions about physical and mental well-being. And they actually did ask about excessive wind, so maybe this really is a common problem after surgery.

The mental stuff was interesting because it was like ‘I have felt sad for no reason- never, hardly ever, sometimes, all the time’ in the last 2 weeks/4 weeks whatever, or ‘I have felt panicky and anxious’ or ‘I have felt like killing myself’ etc and the way they phrased it all, I just ticked never/never/never etc until I could see at the end that I scored zero. Which, in my experience, usually means that the client filling these forms out is in denial. So I went over it and I really didn’t change anything. I must be the happiest person around, which surprises me. But then, they weren’t asking have you EVER been sad etc for no reason, they were asking about the last 2 weeks. So I am delighted to say that, at least for the last 2 weeks, I have indeed been the happiest person around.

Oh yes, the ‘for no reason’ bit. Well, I have been completely pissed off FOR VERY GOOD REASON, several times in the past 2 weeks. For example, I was in despair when Julia Gillard bowed to the Greens and lost all moral authority, allowing Australia’s abstention vote on Nov 29 on upgrading ‘Palestine’ to observer status in the UN. And I was enraged to the point of ignition when Bob Carr called the Israeli ambassador, Yuval Rotem, for a dressing-down concerning Israel’s decision to build more homes in the E1 ‘settlement’ area (12km square, I believe, adjacent to Ma’alei Adumim, and anyone who calls that a ‘settlement’ hasn’t seen it). I didn’t see Carr call in the Syrian ambassador to express concerns about Assad mobilizing chemical weaponry to be used, I’m only guessing here, against his own citizens. Nor did I see any mention of calling the Egyptian ambassador to ask hard questions about Morsi’s self–empowerment and complete destruction of any nascent democratic process in Egypt. And no sirree, Carr had no desire to quiz the Iranian ambassador about obvious lies to the world about nuclear aspirations, threatening genocide and Holocaust denial. But give a Jew a hammer and a fistful of nails, and World Peace is threatened.
So that all made me pretty unhappy. But apart from the feeling that Armageddon is getting closer, I am officially a happy person.

Maybe there are worse things than a rogue fart.

No comments:

Post a Comment