Sunday 16 December 2012

Siman tov umazel tov

I'm at a wedding and I shouldn't be posting because I've had a few mojitos, but I wanted to share my delight in the fact that two young Jewish people have committed to each other under the chuppah in front of two witnesses in the presence of a young Chabad rabbi. (Sorry, had to stop to eat a delicious little vegetarian quiche). There was a ring from the chossen to the kallah and she walked around the chossen 7 times. It was, in short, a 100% kosher orthodox chuppah. The reception is 100% kosher too.
Who cares if the song played after the chuppah was 'I Feel Good' by James Brown. Who cares that the bride wasn't as modestly dressed as I would prefer. Who cares that the bridesmaids ditto. And that nobody knew the Sheva Brachot apart from the grandfather of the bride who said the second one. The Chazzan said the rest. And who cares that he didn't have much of a voice for a Chazzan. Who cares that the parents of the groom were dancing together under the chuppah while waiting for the bride to come out. And who cares that half the guests aren't (obviously) Jewish and some of the ladies are dressed like ladies of the night and some if the men wouldn't know what a yarmulke was if it bit them. Who cares. And I see a lesbian couple here too. But it's a Jewish wedding.
A Jewish wedding. A Jewish couple.
The bride - a grandchild of Holocaust survivors. Their first grandchild whose wedding they have - the only word for it - achieved. Thank G-d.
And thank G-d for Chabad rabbis who , while being sensitive to the vibe of their largely not-very-religious congregation and while cracking jokes with the groom under the chuppah, insist on 100% kosher observances of all the holy laws of marriage. For I have seen too many chuppahs where the rabbi seemed to be pandering to the silliness of some couples rather than giving them much-needed direction and instruction.
Please G-d that the next generation should have such a wedding. I'm not sure of the chances but we can always hope.
I'm going to dance now. It's a real simcha, thank G-d.

No comments:

Post a Comment