Wednesday 29 February 2012

THE UNLIKELY LIBERAL


I’m an Orthodox Jewish mother and grandmother, medically trained, working as a Lactation Consultant. My politics lean Right. And over the years I have seen things and learned things about people that make me believe that good parenting has little to do with sexual orientation. I tend to keep my opinions to myself on this matter because- well, my extended family would disagree, to put it mildly. So of course, that’s why I’m posting on my blog about it.

So, surprise! I’m not against same-sex parenting. (Not so sure about same-sex marriage though; I wonder if some gays aren’t putting too much stock in that piece of paper. I mean, why do we celebrate marriage with big parties and whole communities involved? Marriage is a contract. What other contract is celebrated in this way? If it were just about two people committing to each other out of love or whatever, or if it were just about property, then just go to the registry office or sit in front of a lawyer and sign some documents. Why are we dancing and hiring halls and caterers? Because traditionally marriage is more than just a legal contract, it is about the community wishing the couple a future involving, not roses and valentines, but children, the future of that community. Now, a legal marriage is not necessarily a happy one, but I get the idea; maybe it’s having the RIGHT to get married that is more important than the actual getting married. I am reminded of a scene in The Life of Brian, where Stan, a transgendered man, or Eric Idle in drag, to be precise, wants to have babies; but since he can’t have babies, his group agrees to vote for him to have the RIGHT to have babies. And he is satisfied with this. But I digress.)

I won’t go as far as to say that I would jump for joy and click my heels in the air if any of my kids turned out to be gay R"L. But I wouldn’t sit shiva either. I would be very saddened but supportive.

So I maintain the belief that the ideal family unit involves a present mother and father of wanted children, with some extended family to back this arrangement up. But as we all know, this doesn’t always happen. Marriages break down, partners die, mental illness develops, unwanted babies are born, abuse is perpetrated. And kids are stuck in the middle. Heterosexual unions have certainly produced enough screwed-up people. And conversely, I don’t think they necessarily have the monopoly on producing happy, well-adjusted kids either.

Same-sex parenting by design is a relatively recent phenomenon, often made possible by various reproductive technologies. Of course there have been situations in the past with Uncle raising orphaned nephew etc. But biological, as well as adoptive parenting by design means that two adults have chosen to commit to each other and to raise a wanted child in a loving environment. There is usually great expense involved as well. There’s no ‘Oops’ involved, as can occur in normal parenting. (Yes, I can use the word ‘normal’ here, as the statistical norm is still the heterosexual family unit. Don’t get your PC knickers in a knot.)

On the other hand, same-sex unions can also be crappy and destructive; people are still people. So if there’s marriage, there’s divorce, and if there’s kids, then there are good and bad reasons for having them and good and bad ways of treating them. ‘Means well’ doesn’t mean ‘Does well’.

In the end, kids need love and they need boundaries. They need Chessed (love, kindness) and they need Gevurah (strength, boundaries). And I really don’t think that the gender or the sexual orientation of the parent absolutely determines his or her ability to provide this.

So please don’t rip off my shaytel and snap my soup ladle in two, and exile me into the wilderness. I just don’t believe in stereotypes. And neither am I a stereotype.

11 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that not one person has commented on either the blog or Facebook! A d here I was afraid of being run out of town on a rail. I am mystified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please take a look at this site and the research presented and respond with your honest thoughts as a medical professional:

    http://drs4equality.com/

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, why would my opinion on this matter to you at all? You clearly don't care to hear my opinion on circumcision, you mock my commitment to my religion, along with your mate the llama, and I don't give a rat's what you think of me anyway. I think I said what I had to say in my post and that's enough. You will only respect what I have to say if it is in tune with what you believe and what you want to hear. I don't need your approval and I respect your choices, so I'm going to leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've avoided the question.

      Delete
  4. Yes. Because my opinion in the end does not matter to you anyway and I repeat, I have said what I wanted to say in the post. Agree, disagree, really, I don't care. I respect your choices and I don't appreciate you and your friend mocking mine. Thus ends the discussion. I will no longer reply. G-d bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a doctor you have a duty of care to your patients and your community. Irrespective of what I think or what you think of me, you must surely be concerned about the best medical interests of those in your care. I have presented you with a collection of respected medical research that I have asked you to consider. You owe it to your profession, your patients, your community and your family to look at it with an open mind.

      Delete
  5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBd-UCwVAY

    "Because traditionally marriage is more than just a legal contract, it is about the community wishing the couple a future involving, not roses and valentines, but children, the future of that community."

    There is adoption.

    Thanks for giving us your views, and why you come to them. Thanks also for the intellectual honesty that says "not sure..." rather than dogmatic assertion.

    Even if we disagree, you're using the right criteria for judgement.

    As for me - I'm Intersex, and on the F side of the M/F divide biologically. Just. That wasn't always the case. 3 beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency can have interesting and varied effects, as you know. Usually before birth, but not always.

    My son is by no means the only person on the planet with two biologically female parents, but it's exceedingly rare, and took technical help. I expect it to be far more common in the future, but requiring highly sophisticated medical techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I wrote that piece some time ago and posted it some months ago and as I re-read it, I am still 'not sure'. But thank you for not haranguing me as I have been for some of my views. I think that the only reason that I don't have a stereotypical outlook on these matters is that I have been exposed to the reality of gender diversity in my professional life. Not for the last 25 years or so. But at one stage I worked with Dr Trudy Kennedy in the Gender Dysphoria Clinic in QVH. Also by some cosmic coincidence, the GP clinic in St Kilda in which I used to work in the 80's was popular with transgender people. Even as a student, I was given the topic of Intersex to research and present on, but believe me, things have changed as far as management since the late 70's, for the better I think. But I think I have had more exposure than most doctors (and CERTAINLY more than most Boobas) to gender diversity. I am still an Orthodox Jew and I still am committed to the tenets of my religion, but we can still live together in mutual respect. And now I have got go back to work!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your help and understanding in your career. I wish more in the medical profession were so un-dogmatic.

      Intersex is one thing; Transsexuality another (though closely related - see footnote [1]); Transgender yet another; Sexual Orientation yet another (see footnote [2]).

      The thing is - it's not that simple, is it? The whole "marriage is between a man and a woman PERIOD!!" bit. Not when the definitions of "man" and "woman" is not and can not be simple and distinct, biologically speaking.

      All of the arguments against same-sex marriage flounder when confronted with cases like my own. Including the one about "we ban same-sex marriage for the good of the children". My son would disagree there.

      Any pronouncement giving Universal Truths With No Exceptions have to be considered wholly void when an exception exists.

      Footnotes:

      [1] Male–to–female transsexuals have female neuron numbers in a limbic nucleus. Kruiver et al J Clin Endocrinol Metab (2000) 85:2034–2041

      The present findings of somatostatin neuronal sex differences in the BSTc and its sex reversal in the transsexual brain clearly support the paradigm that in transsexuals sexual differentiation of the brain and genitals may go into opposite directions and point to a neurobiological basis of gender identity disorder.

      [2]
      Sexual Hormones and the Brain: An Essential Alliance for Sexual Identity and Sexual Orientation Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35

      The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. However, since sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy, these two processes can be influenced independently, which may result in extreme cases in trans-sexuality. This also means that in the event of ambiguous sex at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the degree of masculinization of the brain. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation.

      Delete
  6. Like I say, research in this field has advanced light-years since the 70's where it was all about behavioural therapies, and the intersex was 'treated' along the lines of 'it's easier to dig a hole than build a tower.' I swear I did not make up that comment. (And pregnant women with hyperemesis gravidarum were treated 'behaviourally' by being made to clean up their vomit in the wards in which they were hospitalized; and sick children were only just being allowed to have parents stay with them in hospital etc. So a lot has improved.) You make very good points and I still think the key is mutual respect because we all have to live together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shyrla, you said initially that I had accused you of being homophobic and I said that I hadn't, but had just speculated that given your frumkeit it would surprise me if you endorsed homosexuality.

    I have re-read this blog and I feel that in fact that you do have a homophobic bent, so to speak, given that you invoked R"L (God forbid) at the end of the statement "if any of my kids turned out to be gay" here.

    Perhaps you could justify the "God forbid" in a way that shows me it's not an irrational fear or dislike of homosexuality. I feel a sense of despair toward your children should one of them actually be same-sex attracted knowing that you hope "God forbid" that they should not be gay.

    In fact if I was one of your kids I would probably not be inclined to disclose my homosexuality to you knowing your attitude toward homosexuality.

    Some relavant research, quoting from the Suicide Prevention Australian Position Statement "Suicide and self-harm among Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender communities":

    "Studies conducted over the last decade reveal that GLB individuals attempt suicide at rates between 3.5 and 14 times those of their heterosexual peers (Bagley & Tremblay, 1997; Garofalo et al., 1998; Herrell et al., 1999; National Institute for Mental Health in England, 2007; Nicholas & Howard, 2002; Remafedi et al., 1998)."

    and

    "Similarly, those belonging to religious faiths that promulgate negative discourses about homosexuality are particularly vulnerable to suicide and self-harm. Conflicts between spiritual or religious beliefs and sexuality can result in significant psychological dissonance as well as division and exclusion from family, friends and community.

    For many, these experiences manifest in deep feelings of self-loathing and hatred that, in turn, severely elevate the risk of suicide and self-harm (Hillier et al., 2008)."

    Food for thought?

    ReplyDelete