Sunday 4 March 2012

SWIMEDITATION


I swim most days in the luxury of my own lap pool. I’ve had it for 12 years and I only really started to use it for laps for a year or so. Until then, I just got too distracted by proprietal matters- pump failure, blown light bulbs, chemical imbalances (the water, not my brain). We have water aerobic lessons twice a week and several of my daughters are swimming teachers who ran their little school out of it. And many friends use it. So this pool is not merely a storage unit for chemicals. This pool is a community resource.

But what with my gym and Pilates and Zumba and what not, I never really did much apart from the water aerobics. Until I had so many aches and pains, the only thing that helped was swimming.
I do 50 laps twice a week, 20 laps after gym and on the Sabbath I rest.
You may wonder, what on Earth do I think of as I go up and down, up and down, up and down for an hour? What indeed?
I count laps, counting DOWN, by the way. That bit of information is the only thing worth remembering. If you count up, you will get to 20 and say, hell, that’s enough; but if you count backwards, you are committed to finish, or else lose all self-respect. Try it, it works!

My thoughts go a bit like this:
50 Jeez, long way to go, must get that tile fixed, oh no, that light bulb is out again, is that sand on the bottom of the pool?
49 I wish I could do tumbleturns 49=7 squared, breathe on 4th stroke
48 powerful kick off wall, graceful like dolphin 48=12x4= 3x4x4
47 is that a prime number? These goggles are tight, reach stroke kick
46 music starts (Chorus of Arcade Fire’s Wake Up, for some reason) daaa-daaa-da-da-da-da, daaa-daaa-da-da-da-da, etc
45 So sad about Whitney Houston….Amy Winehouse…reach stroke kick
44 Reach for a star, put it in my pocket, flutter kick kick kick
43 Prime number…cannot believe Julia Gillard’s stupid interview…and still she won…
42 Meaning of life…6x7…reach kick…daaa-daaa-da-da-da-da
41 What is with primes…oh that was quick, kick off
40 stretch, reach, kick…shoulder’s feeling better… hold butt tight
39 power off wall hold tummy tight, back a bit sore, shouldn’t this help?
38 I think it’s 38…36?… evens out, odds back…no, 38…daaa-daaa-da-da-da-da
37 prime why do primes interest me I don’t do maths
36 twice Chai, 3 dozen, 6 squared Daaa-daaa etc
35 middle aged used to be, half of 70 years, not anymore, stretch kick
34 water’s a bit warm is that another tile loose? Must call pool guy
33 reach pull kick shoulder much better, amazing Daaa-daaa etc
32 Is it? Did I lose count? Evens…odds…no, 32, reach pull kick
31 prime have to get car washed reach pull kick breathe
30 I can cough underwater tummy tight butt tight reach pull kick
29 hey 30 to go nearly halfway I hope that last post was good, nobody commented but me…
28 Kick off wall maybe I can write about swimming…thinking
27 9x3, 3 cubed, will I ever publish that cookbook why can’t I just see it through
26 Gematria Y-H-V-H , 2x13, call it Waste not: loving leftovers bleh
25 5 squared  reach pull kick breathe daaa-daaa-da-da-da-da
24 2 dozen, factors 1,2,3,4,6,12,24 busy number tummy tight
23 prime Oprah in Brooklyn maybe write about that reach pull kick
22 2 little ducks bingo have to go to butcher today
21 key to the door, never been 21 before…fruit order
20 that’s gone fast pick up speed reach pull kick breathe
19 prime how many for dinner this Friday could be 16 could be 22
18 Chai  need to find out, need to book help…
17 St Patricks day March 17 wearing of the green reach pull kick
16 Sweet 16 Neil Sedaka is he still alive reach pull kick breathe
15 Batmitzvah for Spanish girls not a bad idea stretch pull
14 Crazy world, war everywhere Iran the Bomb what will happen
13 Barmitzvah, 13 attributes of faith, unlucky for some not us, bakers dozen
12 Batmitzvah dozen, factors 1,2,3,4,6,12 need Moshiach reach pull
11 Legs 11 pick up tempo Obama second only to Jimmy Carter failed president, Iran all Carter’s fault
10 Perfect 10 need decent leaders kick pull breathe
9 single digit 3x3 wow this is going fast reach pull daaa-daaa etc
8 Lucky for Chinese… mystical number above natural order reach pull tummy tight
7 Lucky Kabbalistic 7th day G-d rested, the week is a Divine creation
6 go for it, reach! Pull! Kick! Move it!
5 fingers of death, Bruce Lee, he was a legend reach pull
4 nearly done not so bad, theme for Purim, International Women’s day? Have to do make seudah this year
3 when will I have time, reach pull kick
2 strong finish now reach pull, manicure this week
1 last one go go go reach pull Woohoo! Done! These goggles are killers! I think I have bruises from them!
Stretch hammies, quads, calves, triceps. Climb out, shake head to get water out of right ear, trudge off to shower.

So when I swim, I think of swimming, how my body feels while swimming, and the pool; of lap counts and numbers and mystic or bingo symbolism of numbers; of celebrities and world events and Armageddon. I also think of family stuff which I don’t need to discuss here. I think of all this stuff BUT I don’t think of work. Aha! Another reason for swimeditation.

2 comments:

  1. Begs the question - what the hell do you think about when you swim the english channel?

    Hour 1 , stuff you just wrote about
    Hour 2 , it's still so effing dark and cold, i am such an idiot...is that a shark?
    Hour 3 . can't feel my nuts....is that a shark?
    Hour 4 , I am still an idiot, it's still cold, not even close to half way...shark?
    Hour 5 , blah blah blah
    Hour 6 . blah blah blah
    Hour 7 , Half way!
    Hour 8....... I am such a legend

    ReplyDelete