Tuesday 19 June 2012

THE VOICE, INDEED




I didn’t follow ‘The Voice’. I heard a lot about it from my water aerobics buddies. I managed to watch a bit of one early on where there was a fat chick, who turned out to be Jimmy Barnes’ daughter Mahalia (what a name! The expectations!) and a pretty blonde skinny chick. By then there were no more blind auditions, so it was pretty clear to me in about 3 seconds that, unless Mahalia was really an incarnation of THE Mahalia, she wasn’t going to have a chance. And so I was right. So I didn’t really bother with the show after that. Ho-hum, another pretty young skinny girl will win another pop show. Whatever.
Monday morning I was at the gym and there was a promo for The Voice playing on the TV which is just on there for a bit of relief from the boredom of the elliptical trainer etc, and it was the morning of the Finals. And there were 4 finalists. First, the Katy Perry with the red hair. Hey, not bad, I thought. Then the blind blonde chick. OK, so-so, I liked the other one. Then the token older male. Hmm, good, for Vegas maybe. And last, there was this brunette girl, with a pretty, round, dimpled face and a bit of the chubbies and THEN she opened her mouth and I nearly fell off the treadmill. Oh. My. G-d. Why did anyone else even bother? This girl was going to win.
Well, she did. Of course there is the back story of the girl who lived in refuges and foster homes, 19 years old. So she had a legitimate right to sing the blues.
She sounded like – who? Like Renee Geyer- Etta James- Adele- Janis Joplin- Tina Turner- Joss Stone, no, better, like Amy Winehouse, even better than that- I don’t know who else. A female Joe Cocker. And I look at this list and most of these people are white people who sound like black people who invented the art form of Soul. Actually, I even thought of Fado singers from Portugal. I thought of every man who ever done me wrong, I thought of how the human spirit can rise above adversity, I got goosebumps, I wanted to cry. I cannot think of the last time a singer made me feel like this. In a different- very VERY different way- Cio-Cio San from Madama Butterfly.  But that’s not the same as this raw, wailing, sweet, gravelly SOUND that came out of this child’s throat. It was from a different planet.
Karise Eden, congratulations on your win. I hope you cope with the life which now awaits you. I hope you don’t end up in the shit like Amy and Janis and Whitney. I look forward to owning many of your recordings in the future. You deserve success. Just keep it real. Please, please, keep it real.


This was her blind audition. How clear is it that she is remarkable????

No comments:

Post a Comment